Memoirs


Friday, March 10, 2006

Akata.....= to the N word

So Akata is a derogatory word and so are Kokoye and Chinko! I am guilty as charged when it comes to these words. I never used them in a derogatory manner though…...at least not intentionally. But one of my girl friends said its equivalent to black people being referred to as Niggars! Well I’ll be damned! I certainly have no desire to make others feel like I would if the N word was used one me! But just think about how many times we drop those words, especially in the Naija community without batting an eye, it’s almost as if we are addressing them by their Government name. I wonder if other folks have a name they use to group Nigerian as well. I know even within our country, we do. An Igbo chick is quick to say “hmm… Yoruba girls” and turn their nose like it’s a bad word! And I know I am guilty of “Omo igbo” then there is Aboki…now that is definitely derogatory….. It even sounds bad. The other day one of my best friends who is from Edo State said “Bola, why did you bring all your Ngbati, Ngbati people to my house!” LMAO! The nonsense girl has an Ngati husband o!
But on the real…I will make a conscious effort, to refrain from using those words. Na wa o…..there goes half my vocabulary!

Posted by Queenb :: 12:08 PM :: 21 comments

Post a Comment

---------------*QB*---------------